Law Offices of David G. Arganian, Seattle, WA

The United States has a long history of welcoming immigrants from all parts of the world.

America values the contributions of immigrants who continue to enrich this country and preserve its legacy as a land of freedom and opportunity.

Deciding to become a U.S. citizen is one of the most important decisions in an individual's life. If you decide to apply to become a U.S. citizen, you will be showing your commitment to the United States and your loyalty to its Constitution. In return, you are rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of U.S. citizenship.

You may become a U.S. citizen either at birth or after birth. Individuals who are born in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States and individuals born in certain territories or outlying possessions of the United States are citizens at birth. Also, individuals born outside the United States may be citizens at birth if their parent or parents were citizens at the time of birth and other requirements are met.

Additionally, you may become a U.S. citizen after birth either through your parents, known as "derived" or "acquired" citizenship, or by applying for naturalization on your own.

There are several ways in which a foreign national can claim or make an application for US citizenship….

Application for US Citizenship

Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). You May Qualify for Naturalization if:

- You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements, please visit the General Path to Citizenship USCIS page for more information.
- You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen, please visit the For Spouses of U.S. Citizens USCIS page for more information.
- You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements. Visit the Military section of USCIS's website.
- Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.

In addition, you will have to demonstrate that you have been a person of Good Moral Character as well as meet the physical US residency requirements. During the interview process, you will need to successfully pass the naturalization test. For more information, please contact us today for a consultation.

Military Personnel
If you are currently on Active Duty within any of the branches of US Armed Forces, you and/or your spouse may qualify for expedited processing of your application for US Citizenship. You may also be interviewed and naturalized overseas at certain U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and military installations and you may request overseas processing at any time in the natu­ralization process. At The Law Office of Ruby L. Powers we proudly serve those who serve us, and it would be our privilege to help you with this process.

Acquired US Citizenship/Derivative/Automatic US Citizenship

If you were born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, you may be a U.S. citizen depending on the year you were born, your actual legal status, your parent's previous residency in the United States and other requirements.

Acquisition of Relinquished/Abandoned US Citizenship

Whether voluntarily or involuntarily, certain US citizens may relinquish or abandon their US citizenship. You may automatically lose your US citizenship if you:

- Formally renounce your citizenship (by following established procedures)
- Become a naturalized citizen in another country after you turn 18 years old
- Take some jobs with a foreign government after you turn 18
- Serve in the armed forces of a foreign country, under certain circumstances
- Commit treason against the US

© 2000-2011 David G. Arganian, all rights reserved.